Jun 21, 2007

Lakbayan



My Lakbayan grade is C!

How much of the Philippines have you visited? Find out atLakbayan!

Created by Eugene Villar.


Got this Lakbayan survey from various blogs. I took the survey four times, weeded out most "just passing through" answers. It's till A+. With Mr. Eugene's comment below, I checked and my booboo, I got them in reverse. Now I'm at ease with my score. Mostly I've been in Northern Luzon and the Visayas. A few places in the south and Bukidnon and Davao in Mindanao. I am in love with the Philippines. Why not? I may not love everything about this country but this is a beautiful place. There are lots of places to see and admire. My trips are both work-related and family vacations. If I may say, it's invigorating to get out of the metropolis once in a while and breathe a different air and see the greeneries.

**********

I was in the far north last week. It was my first time to try a grill house for lunch somewhere along the highway of Nueva Ecija. I always check out whatever local place we can try whether it's famous or not, both for dining and recreation. If my husband's main goal in going out of town is to rest, for me it's it's the excitement of discovering and exploring the places we go to.

My colleagues and I had lunch at Magellan's Grill before leaving N.E. and head to Isabela via the steep and zigzaggy road of Dalton Pass. The road here is referred to as "bituka ng manok" (chicken intestines) since it is shaped like that. That's how curved the pass is.

The eating place is simple, clean enough for our appreciation. The native motif looks nice too. The food is better than in fast foods. I like their pinaputok na plapla. Delicious. I don't know how to prepare this one. Think popcorn...that's how the plapla is served - inside a bloated aluminum foil placed in a sizzling plate. The novelty of it is in the opening of the foil using a knife. The smell of a well-cooked fish with onions, tomatoes, spices gets out of the foil which makes you salivate and devour the plapla at once.

Some pictures of the grill house. They can do away with the plastic cover which serves as table mats.

Big Magella's Grill Stage
Magellan's Grill Still Magellan's Grill House
Pinaputok na Plapla Mixed Seafood

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you got all the answers in reverse? The places you haven't been to should be white while those where you have lived in should be dark blue.

SASSY MOM said...

those food look so sumptuous! makes me soo hungry just by looking at it!

happy weekend!

Lynn said...

EUGENE, I did a booboo, yes. Thanks for your comment. :)

SALEN, They are! Filipino dishes are tops. :)