Dec 19, 2007

Movie Talk


I have been meaning to catch up with the movies I have missed since God knows when. My top of mind movies I've watched this year(no editing, just what comes to mind as I post this) which I'd like to share in my Thursday Thirteen community.


Some are new, a few are old, some I have recently watched, some I have watched several times.

1. Ratatouille. So far the most enjoyable movie I have watched this year. I thought it will be just one of those movies only children as young as my daughter could enjoy. I specifically love the scenes in the kitchen.

2. 1408. It stars John Cusack. It stops there. He is the only saving grace of this movie. Weirdness beckons so one night I asked hubby to watch 1408 before we sleep. I'd like a little scare. Duh. Major disappointment. It's supposed to be a psychological thriller. It dragged and dragged until I gave up waiting what is going to happen next.

3. Disturbia. Now that's one good movie. It gave enough suspense to keep me at the edge of my seat. Shia Lebouf is a refreshing sight on the big screen. He carries the role of a goofy but well-meaning young man very well in most of his movies. This movie, though under the suspense genre, is actually light. It could have been one of those Disney movies that can be finished in 30 minutes.

4. Bratz. We were supposed to watch Nancy Drew but it was not anymore showing in Trinoma. We opted for Bratz. I didn't want to watch this thinking it will all be about gadgets, make-up and boys. Not good for my daughter's young mind. Haha. But since I am with my daughter anyway, why not. I can just butt in when a scene needs some parental guidance. Surprisingly, the Bratz' talents were highlighted and not just their different fashion sense and their girly-girl antics.

5. Hair Spray. I love, love Nikki Blonski! She's so alive! John Travolta, as usual, is at his best though too much prosthetics kind of mutated his facial expressions. But for a straight man to act a woman's role convincingly is one great accomplishment.

I have no idea until this move that X-men's Cyclops, James Marsden is such a good singer and dancer. Christopher Walken danced in this movie. Michelle Pfeiffer is still gorgeous at 52. And of course, there is Zac Efron. The boy is growing up to be a fine, young man.

6. Transformers. I am not fond of robotics. My husband has to drag me to the theatre to watch I, Robot. It wasn't bad. I have to say the same thing about Transformers. The trailer of the movie was enough to excite me. The movie did not disappoint me as it gave excitement scene after scene. I specially like the scene where the Ottobots were trying to hide from the bushes and walls of Shia's house. As if they can hide.

7. Snatch. Snatch is one demented movie that I like. Guy Ritchie. I like it when characters interconnect and the story unfolds with each one having to do with another until the story ends.

8. Super Bad. This is like watching Saturday Night Live with the two cops around. If you want some funny movie on teens' escapades, you can grab a copy and laugh your heart out.

9. Spider Man 3. I liked 1 and 2 but I was a little bored with 3. This movie dragged a bit and reminded me more of Fantastic Four what with the Sandman as the antagonist.

10. Zodiac. A lot of people warned me this movie is very disappointing. But did I let them stop me from watching this? No. I actually liked it. I love how a man got so obssesed with identifying who the Zodiac is. I love how the suspense everytime a suspect floats. It's both interesting and disappointing to note that the identity of the Zodiac remained a mystery.

11. High School Musical 2. I like the first one better.

12. Fantastic Four, Rise of the Silver Surfer. Unlike Spider Man, I enjoyed this movie. Maybe because there are no expectations. The movie is short, fast-paced. I know that it's going to be like eating popcorn, there's nothing much to it but it's fun to just munch it.


13. A Street Car Named Desire. I know Marlon Brando from The Godfather. I know him because of all the accolades given to him. But watching this circa 1950 movie convinced me all the more Marlon Brando is such a class act. Brad Pitt can very well take a back seat had Marlon Brando been born in Brad's generation. Oh yes, I talked about Marlon Brando and not the movie. I was so impressed with him in this movie.

To visit other Thursday Thirteen participants, click here. It's the midweek and the holiday rush is so much felt. Enjoy your shopping! :)

27 comments:

Nicholas said...

The only one I have seen is Hairspray, because of the novelty of seeing John Travolta in drag. It was ok but we did click it off before the end.

SandyCarlson said...

You made it through Transformers! Me too! I agree it had redeeming qualities. Ratatouille was cute but seemed to want to end in four different places, I think. Thanks for some info that will help me decide on rentals!

Greatfullivin said...

It is Brando for me. Streetcar is an awesome film. Thanks, Happy Christmas.

Sandee said...

I've only seen the last one. I agree with gretfullivin, Streetcar is an awesome film. Have a great TT. :)

Chelle Y. said...

I have a young child, so HSM is the "bomb" in our home. I loved Hairspray too. I smiled throughout that whole movie! So cute!

Thanks for stopping by my TT.

Moondancer said...

I want to see FF2 anf Rattoie very bad. I like Tranformers...and mostly liked SM3, though would have like it better if they let Rami do what he wanted and just had it be about Sandman

Bernie said...

I got to watch Hairspray when I wen to New Zealand last month, and loved it. I also got to watch (some of it at least) on my return flight from Bali on Sunday night, Ratatouille, so I will have to get on DVD when it is released as I was sleeping through it...

Have a great TT and a very Merry Christmas!!!

pussreboots said...

I thought Spiderman 3 was the best one yet. Happy TT. Thanks for stopping by.

Amy Ruttan said...

Oh ya I'm way behind my movies too. WAY BEHIND!

Anonymous said...

I should sit through Transformers -- that would be so hard!!

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

I've seen 1, 6, and 9. Out of those, Ratatouille was definitely our favorite!

Mixednuts said...

I enjoyed Hairspray too.

mks said...

I have seen Ratatouille, Disturbia, Zodiac, (and Transformers and Hairspray but on a plane). Of them all I liked Ratatouille the best! Happy holidays....I came on over from fondofphotography.com

Open Grove Claudia said...

I love the mix of movies here - kid movies and grown up. I've seen most of them - we walked out of spidey 3 - it was awful. It seemed like the actors were bored making the movie bleck!

Happy TT!

Shesawriter said...

I've seen six. 1408, Disturbia, Transformers, Spiderman, Zodiac and Fantastic 4.

Of these I hate Transformers. It was the noise. Just too much of it. I was a nervous wreck after we left. LOL!

My Thursday Thirteen #5

SJ Reidhead said...

Tell me about it! I never get to movies now. I'm in the process of psyching myself up to go see the new Indiana Jones movie and that's months away. Pathetic, isn't it.

The Pink Flamingo
http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

Natalie said...

I really want to see #1, my mom said she got it for my daughters for Christmas so I'm anxious for Christmas so we can watch it. :)

My TT is up too if you want to check it out. :)

damozel said...

Those are fun movies, I've heard. I saw "Hairspray" and I was a little disappointed---Travolta looked great but he TALKED really strangely. I did enjoy watching him dance...

13 Extraordinary Winter scenes

Robin said...

I loved Ratatouille. I haven't seen the new Hairspray, but the old one is a favorite of mine. Streetcar of course is in a class by itself.

Joyismygoal said...

wow I am behind I aw hairspray and liked it a lot but John T was a little ooogie

Anonymous said...

The ones I have seen, Ratatouille, FF2, Spiderman 3, Transformers, and 1408...

All excellent. You are in for a treat.

maryt/theteach said...

Some horror, some incredible movies. Thanks for the post, lyn. Come visit my TT post. Also visit my other blog for Christmas hugs: http://workofthepoet.blogspot.com/

DEHausfrau said...

#8 - I want to see Super Bad so badly.

Thanks for stopping by and happy TT!

Unknown said...

I liked Transformers and Disturbia also. Spider-Man 3 was a long drawn out movie, but I disagree on 1408 I liked it.
Great list, I've seen most of them...oh and Zodiac, I loved that one, and am glad I rented it.
Pop over to the Cafe for my T13 if you'd like.

PJ said...

I've seen Disturbia, Transformers, Snatch, Fantastic 4 and Streetcar. All good films in their own way.

Janet said...

I've seen two of the movies on your list; Ratatouille and Hair Spray...enjoyed both! Loved seeing Walken & Travolta dance together :-)

Harris Channing said...

I need to see some of those...Great list...Brando sure was sexy!

~Harris