Nov 5, 2007

Plated


There are two picture memes today. One's for Weekend Snapshots and one's for the monthly Pinoy Moms Network sharing of family pictures based on a theme. I wouldn't pass up any of these two so here goes.

See the picture below? Can you tell what it is? It's one of the street foods famous in the Philippines. Street foods are those peddled by ambulant vendors or from an improvised stall along the street but of course. The reputation is not so good in terms of cleanliness in preparation and merchandising but there are some who just cannot resist having a bite. Better to prepare it on your own.



This is "tukneneng" (hard boiled egg with orange batter coating). The coating includes flour and chicken cubes. I didn't know chicken cubes are also used for this tukneneng food. According to the neighbor at least that's what she does to make it more palatable.

Over the weekend, my husband ordered this from a neighbor who distributes different kinds of "street foods" to different office canteens in different business districts. Definitely the preparation and handling are HACCAP (Hazard Analysis of Critical Control Points) compliant. :)

**********

What's plated in the house? Lots. But this one's from a lunch-out with hubby and daughter at Teriyaki Boy a few weeks ago. Teriyaki Boy is one of the fast-casual restaurants that offer really good service and good food.

My favorite dish here is Gyu-Saikoro steak (diced-cut beef in teriyaki sauce and bean sprouts). Now you see it....


Now you don't...


Here are the mommies with their Plated entries:
Pinayhekmi: Scrambled eggs
Ruth: Filipino breakfast
Lynn: Tukneneng
Mommy Chi: Fried rice and beef stew
Ajay: Because pancit is my favorite dish
Julie: PinoyMomsNetwork Fam Pics 3: Plated (On a Plate)
Connie: Chopsticks on a plate
Cookie: PMN Fampics Series 3 : Plated
KK: Eclectic taste
Feng: Plated on a operating table
Raqgold: Schlachtplatte
Vicky: What's for tea?-Lean Pork N Cabbage on Stripey Plate
Rach: My plated collage

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummo! :) Nice pics!

Mine is up here;
Snapshots
Happy MondaY!

fortuitous faery said...

ohmygod....i miss tukneneng! and isaw with vinegar! and fishballs! and taho! and, and...

i'm so going to indulge myself in those when i fly back to manila next year...hehe.

Anonymous said...

I think I would have been glad to taste both!!
For me food always tastes a lot yummier when you don't have to go to all the work of fixing it yourself.lol

Hope you have a wonderful week.

Take care,
Connie

Anonymous said...

Lynn, sarap naman ng tukneneng. My children love that too but they remove the orange part. They love balut too and wont hesitate to eat the chick inside, :)

Have a great week!

SandyCarlson said...

This food looks delicious. The hard-boild egg "dumpling" sounds heavenly!

Carver said...

Lovely food shots. Very interesting post since I am not from your country and I enjoy learning about dishes from different parts of the world from me.

Liz said...

My sons loves that :) both actually, teriyaki boy is his fave too. Happy Tuesday :)

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, I won't ask who ate the whole lot of beef and bean sprouts.

I just had my dinner of fish curry and rice but these photos were good enough to make me salivate. :)

Anonymous said...

Delicious! Thanks for stopping by my photo hunt over the weekend!

Anonymous said...

tukneneng pala ang tawag dyan? i just simply call them "itlog na orange", haha!

ScroochChronicles said...

Tukneneng!! Sarap niyan with maanghang na suka!! Yes, street food rules!!

Heart of Rachel said...

Hi Lynn. I have always wanted to try that Tukneneng but haven't had the chance yet. I'm thinking my hubby can just make some at home. I love quail eggs.

I like a lot of dishes Teriyaki Boy too. That dish is one of them.

I didn't make it to the round-up but you can find mine at:

My Plated Collage

feng said...

yummy tukneneng! kahit sabihin pa nilang jolog food yan, masarap naman talaga!

Anonymous said...

masarap ang tukneneng. I like the quail eggs, they used to sell it for P5 for 4 near our school.

sarap talaga ng street food.

I like those plates with the teriyaki, they look so interesting.

raqgold said...

tukneneng... that#s my most favorite of all favorites street food. dumadayo pa kami sa palengke ng marilao kasi dun ang pinakamasarap na tukneneng sabayan pa ng goto... yum!

Anonymous said...

Akala ko penoy lang ang ginagawang tukneneng.

Lynn said...

YEN, thanks for dropping by. Kind of tight sched this week. I'll drop by WS participants next week. :)

FAERY, Haha, I can very well feel how much you miss them fishballs and all. :D

CONNIE, Oh yeah, but when I do that, I lose my appetite coz I just want to take a rest. :D

JULIE, Ako hindi ko type tukneneng but I love eggs.

SANDY, Well, a huge percentage of Pinoys cannot go wrong. :)

CARVER, It's interesting for me too to read about native dishes from other parts of the world.

LIZA, it's mostly men that like tukneneng. I wonder why.

JUDY, fish curry, you made me crave for a curry.

MOE, thanks too for taking time to post here.

RUTH, hehe, that's cute, itlog na orange. :P

SCROOCH, Haha, I love your battlecry, street food rules!

RACH, Haven't tried it yet. I'm not so adventurous when it comes to food.

FENG, haha, jolog food. I like the term. Bagay sa battlecry ni Kongkong. Lol.

KK, nice plates no? I love the color actually.

RAQ, from Marilao ka rin pala. Kababayan ka ng husband ko. :)

CONNIE, Akala ko naman hardboiled lang ang pwede pang-tukneneng. Pati pala balot, quail eggs at penoy.

Wenchie said...

I love teriyaki boy, I used to frequent the Glorietta branch infront of Landmark, it's always full. Have to wait in queue so I can have my fave california maki. Btw, what's the difference between tukneneng and kwek kwek? When I buy those, I just tell the seller, I want the orange quail eggs, he he...

Anonymous said...

wow! Sarap nyan "tukneneng"! Kamag-anak yan ng "kwek-kwek" (quail eggs with orange coating). Sarap lalo na pag may maanghang na suka and konting sweet sauce. Yummy!

Chateau said...

You make tukneneng look so palatable! hehe

Really, you take great photos, Lynn. :)

Lynn said...

ROWENA, I learned recently that tukneneng is made of hard boiled eggs and the kwek-kwek is made of quail eggs or penoy yata.

BANG, Muka ngang masarap kaya lang itlog lang gusto ko. :D

CHATS, Oh thanks for appreciating my pictures.

Anonymous said...

nice pics... yummy

Lynn said...

DOCCHEF, Thanks. :)