Apr 4, 2007

Seven Songs

I was tagged by Rachel on these seven songs. I appreciate it and I will take this opportunity to discuss a bit my musical genealogy. :)

Music, my family loves music - listening to various collections that is. My uncle and my mom loves The Beatles and its contemporaries. My father loves Frank Sinatra and the rest in his league. My eldest cousin loved anything disco, jazz, the Manila sound. That was mid-70s.

I grew up in the 80s listening to New Wave, Punk and pop songs - Michael Jackson, Madonna, Cyndi Lauper, Top 40 by Casey Kasem. 99.5 RT was the station to beat. And the alternative music were played over at XB. Side by side U2, I was a Duran Duran die hard. Those who can still recall - there was a rivalry between Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet. Funny, that was only here in the Philippines. The rest of the world, Duran Duran was lording it over. That was called the British invasion via America, shades of Beatles' popularity.

My husband loves music too. And I have to say he got my attention because he was singing something from The Thompson Twins which is one of my favored bands then.

90s was R&B for me, grunge music and the resurgence of Pinoy bands - Eraser Heads, Rivermaya, Bamboo. Y2K came in. I was lost but I still listen to a lot of them - Incubus, Googoo Dolls, Third Eye Blind, Maroon 5, Stephen Speaks, etcetera. Boy bands did not appeal much to me except for Blue.

Now we're on the last few legs of 2000, sometimes I already ask my daughter who sings what. And there are already a lot of remakes of the most popular songs during my teenage and college days. Geez.

So you see, I have come a long way with my kind of music and I haven't mentioned here all the other genres and obscure musicians I have discovered along the way and continuously discovering.

These are seven songs on my playlist as I type this post. :)

1. Soft Melody by John Kaizan Neptune
I prefer this rather than Sitti's version. More melodic. Funny
thing is one day it just popped on my mind to play this song from
one of my CDs I neatly keep in our collection of audio files. And
when I was playing it, my daughter said Sitti also has a version
of it. That's how I came to know she has a remake of this pala.


2. Bella Luna by Jason Mraz
My husband and I watched his concert last year. Boy were we
mesmerized by his voice. His stage presence is superb! I love
the soothing melody of this particular song of his.

3. Tattooed on My Mind by D'Sound
This song is not even popular yet when my husband and I
fell in love with it. Sexy. Until now, it's in our collection
of our all-time favorite songs.

4. Stay by Lisa Loeb
More than anything it's the movie Reality Bites which made me
love this song to bits. Ethan Hawke was the 'ideal man'
during my time. Angsty, intelligent, non-conformist, good looking.

5. Don't Speak by No Doubt
I just love the way Gwen Stefani gave out so much style singing
this song.

6. Torn by Natalie Imbruglia
Again, I just love the style.

7. Linger by Cranberries
Dolores is a wonderful singer. She makes me want to sing over
and over again.

Thanks again Rach for this. :)

6 comments:

SASSY MOM said...

hi! Sabay tayo! was suppose to tag you but i saw that rachel already.

Super late na nga... I was out for quite some time.

Nway, cympre 80's pa rin ako...

take care!

Lynn said...

Mabuhay ang 80s!!! :D

Heart of Rachel said...

Hi Lynn. Thanks for sharing your Seven Songs. I enjoyed reading your list.

I grew up in the 80s too. Yes, I remember the era of New Wave, Punk and Pop. I love Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Michael Jackson, Madonna and Cyndi L too! Later on I enjoyed Tears for Fears, The Cure, etc.

I love the songs you mentioned especially Tattooed on My Mind, Torn and Stay. They all remind me of special moments (and people) in my life. :)

Anonymous said...

Gosh, reading about all those 80s music brought back so many memories! I remember listening to 99.5 RT! Still love those 80s songs. Gawd, the guys in DD look even more fab now that theyre older! I also remember going crazy over Rick Astley hahaha!

Ok, Im gonna stop now before I embarrass myself even more ^_~

Chelle / Chel said...

Great songs! Love them!!

Chelle

Lynn said...

RACHEL, nice to reminisce the not so distant past. :)

MEOWMINX, Rick Astley, hehehe. I once listened to him too. *grin*

CHELLE & CHEL, Hello! Thanks for dropping by. By the way, one of my nicknames given by my daughter is Chenchelle. :)